Today I have a few tidbits to pass along to you. Some are my own, some have no author, but is noted if available.
- Yesterday I phoned a neighbor. “Did you hear that someone was shooting a pellet gun at…,” I said.
“Shooting pelicans! Who would shoot a pelican?” she said.
- I came up with a modern day title for Lil Bo Peep who lived in Seattle, Her story would be called Sheepless in Seattle.
- The phrase ‘raining cat and dogs’ never made much sense to me. But ‘cats and dogs reigning…’ is true.
- What do you call traffic congestion on a bridge? Car strangled spanner.
- And here’s one from the impending disaster department: The blond phones the food editor Thanksgiving morning. “How long do you cook a sixteen pound turkey?” “Just a minute,” says the editor as he consults a chart. “Thanks a lot!” says the blond as she hangs up.
- I thought it good to have an open mind, until someone told me mine was obviously vacant.
And here are some serious quotes: Some people complain because God put thorns on roses, while other praise him for putting roses among the thorns.
And this one from Louis Nizer; “A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.” (Between You and Me, Beechurst Press, 1948)
Do you have a favorite quote or pun? See if you can top any of mine!